Public Invited To Share Memories Of Camp Adair

 

Before it was a wildlife area, EE Wilson near Corvallis was Camp Adair, a U.S. Army training base, hospital and Prisoner of War Camp during World War II. Help ODFW conserve its history by joining us at a public meeting on Wednesday, March 1 from 6-8 p.m. at the Siuslaw National Forest Headquarters, Room 20, 3200 SW Jefferson Way, Corvallis.

Veterans, local residents and others are encouraged to attend the meeting and bring their photos and stories of Camp Adair. Volunteers will be on hand to digitize historic documents related to the base. Ideas on how to preserve the memory of Camp Adair at EE Wilson Wildlife Area are also welcome.

About Camp Adair

In 1942 the United States Army purchased the small town of Wells, just north of Corvallis, and 50,000 acres of surrounding farmland for a new training base. In just six months 1,800 buildings were constructed on the newly christened Camp Adair. During its short history over 100,000 soldiers lived and trained there. They went on to fight in the European, Italian, and Okinawa campaigns. After the last divisions left for combat, Adair continued in use as a hospital and a Prisoner Of War camp for the duration of World War II.

When the base was decommissioned in 1946, most of the land was sold back to former owners, returning veterans, and other private parties. Base buildings were auctioned off and moved whole or salvaged

Want more information on benefits and programs related to ?
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

More Stories