The Remains of Three More U.S. Troops Killed in the Korean War Have Been Identified

(JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii) — The U.S. military says it has identified the remains of three more Americans killed during the Korean War, even as efforts to recover additional remains have stalled amid souring relations with North Korea.

One family has been notified and notification of the other two families is pending, Lt. Col. Ken Hoffman, spokesman for the Defense POW-MIA Accounting Agency, said Tuesday.

One set of remains has been identified as those of Army Cpl. Charles S. Lawler, a member of Company M, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. The DPAA said in a statement that Lawler, whose hometown was not provided, had been engaged against enemy forces near Unsan, North Korea, and was reported missing in action on Nov. 2, 1950.

So far, six Americans have been identified from 55 boxes of what North Korean officials said were remains. U.S. officials have estimated that between 50 and 100 individuals could likely be identified, with about 80 of them expected to be Americans and the others South Koreans fighting alongside U.S. forces.

Earlier this month, as tensions between the U.S. and North Korea spiked again, the Pentagon said it had suspended its efforts to arrange negotiations on recovering additional remains of American service members killed in the North during the Korean War.

The Defense POW-MIA Accounting Agency said it has had no communication with North Korean authorities since the Hanoi summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last February. That

Want more information on benefits and programs related to ?
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

More Stories